As a guy who makes his living with his fists, UFC fighter Nate Diaz will never be mistaken for a scholar or a health care practitioner. But he just said something that’s being repeated every day in conversations all over the planet, by doctors, researchers and everyday people from all walks of life: CBD is good for you.
Following his loss Saturday night in a UFC brawl with Conor McGregor, (a rematch of a March fight won by Diaz) Nate openly used CBD. When asked by a reporter what he was using, he replied:
“It’s a CBD. It helps with healing process and inflammation and stuff like that. So you want to get these before and after the fights, training, make your life a better place.”
Nate Diaz and his brother Nick, also a UFC fighter, have been outspoken advocates for the nutritive properties of cannabis. The Stockton, Calif. natives have paid a price for their advocacy — Nick Diaz was unable to work his brother’s corner Saturday night because he hasn’t yet paid the remaining $75,000 balance for the fine he received for testing positive for marijuana following a January 2015 fight, according to the Los Angeles Times.
While millions might have been shocked to see a professional athlete using CBD right after a fight, those who have been paying attention know that:
- Cannabidiol (CBD) is a non-psychoactive compound of the hemp plant.
- Humans have an endocannabinoid system, which includes receptors that enable two-way communication between systems of the body — something previously thought impossible.
- CBD extract is legal in all 50 states, and has been sought by many people looking to bring their endocannabinoid systems into homeostasis.
- CBD is under study in numerous pre-clinical trials, and is currently considered a dietary supplement; therefore, manufacturers cannot legally make claims about its health benefits.
Nick Diaz may have raised some eyebrows (and risked a hefty fine?) by using CBD on camera. But the truth is that millions of people are already using CBD, and talking about it with their friends and family. As part of that ongoing conversation:
- Scientists are actively studying CBD and the 100-plus other cannabinoid compounds in hemp.
- Legislators in cities and states across the country are passing laws to make CBD more available to patients.
- People committed to maintaining good health are taking CBD every day.
Elixinol is part of this conversation. We have partnered with you, our customers, to source the highest-quality hemp on the planet, and to continue developing innovative ways to deliver pure, potent CBD extract to everyone who wants it. We believe this is among the most important conversations on the planet right now, and we are proud to be part of it.
Let’s keep talking about CBD! Questions, comments? Please use the comments field below!